No wires. No brackets. Invisalign® invisible braces straighten your teeth with a series of clear, custom plastic aligners that are invisible from a conversational distance. And they do it in half the time of traditional braces. Orthodontist Dr. Jessica Hylan-Cohen is a certified Invisalign provider.
How Invisalign Works
Dr. Hylan-Cohen will take x-rays, pictures and impressions of your teeth to help create a digital image of them. She’ll have a treatment plan for you, which includes precise movements of your teeth. Based on her treatment plan, a series of customized aligners will be made for you. These very comfortable aligners will gently and gradually move your teeth.
You’ll receive your first set of aligners, which you will wear for two weeks. When you first put them on, they will feel as if they don’t fit properly, but that’s because they are designed to move your teeth to a new position. In a few days, as your teeth move, they will feel comfortable. At the end of the two weeks, you’ll put on a new set of aligners, which will move your teeth to the next position. This process repeats itself until you’ve worn all of the aligners. At the end of the treatment, you’ll have the beautiful smile that you wanted!
You wear the aligners every day, but you remove them when you eat, and when you floss and brush your teeth. You’ll see Dr. Hylan-Cohen every four to six weeks, so that she can check the progress and make any needed adjustments.
Invisalign Advantages and Disadvantages
- People can’t see them from a conversational distance.
- The treatment time is half that of traditional braces.
- You remove them to eat, floss and brush, so you won’t have to be concerned about food getting trapped in them.
- They are very comfortable. There is no metal to irritate your cheeks and gums.
- They cost more than traditional braces.
- Because they are removable, you must remember to put them back on after you eat, floss and brush, and wear them for the required amount of time each day. This can be an issue for some teenagers who may forget to put them back on, or who might lose them.
Invisalign can be a fast, effective treatment to straighten your teeth, but they are not right for every case. Dr. Hylan-Cohen is a board-certified orthodontist. Her training and experience in orthodontics will help determine if they are right for you.